For a very long time, WordPress
has been viewed only as a blogging website; however, now it’s much more than just a blogging tool. It’s the most prominent Content Management System (CMS) in the world, running 65% of CMS websites on the Internet.
is the most popular eCommerce website creating tool, in the world. Moreover, its extensive functionality serves this purpose only. Though there are other website building tools available in the market, these are the two options people usually go for.
If you don’t know much about these tools and their functionality, choosing the one that’s going to work the best for you might be a little challenging and confusing at first. You may wonder which one is going to cover the needs of your business perfectly? Which one has a wider variety of features? Which one offers better design solutions? Which is the easiest to operate with?
We have answers to all of them! Hopefully, after reading this blog post, you’ll be able to get your website up and running.
The Main Difference Between WordPress and Shopify
First things first, let’s understand what the main difference between these tools is. To run your website with WordPress, you need to:
1. Buy a domain and a web hosting account where you have the default version installed
2. Choose a theme, SEO plugins, etc.
3. Have a plugin like WooCommerce that will provide with eCommerce features
4. Go through the configuration process
Whereas Shopify is an online service, where you just need to sign up, create an account, do a quick setup and that’s it, you’re done. In case of encountering any problem, there’s a support team working 24/7 that will help you, while WordPress doesn’t provide such assistance.
Shopify’s Advantages over WordPress
1. It’s a swift way to launch a quality eCommerce store
2. It’s easy for use. You can run it even if you don’t have any coding, design, or website building skills.
3. It provides access to customer support service (via phone, email, live chat)
4. You can integrate it with your on-location store
5. Stronger security
6. Variety of free, modern templates to choose from
7. Free 2 week trial- with WordPress you’ll have to arrange hosting and install if you want to try it out
Wordpress’s advantages over Shopify
1. You can run almost any kind of website with this platform.
2. It’s open source and can be downloaded for free
3. A wide range of plugins both paid and free
4. Better SEO capabilities
5. More control over your content- with Shopify yo may have some difficulties exporting some of your content
6. A better option for multilingual projects
RELATED: WooCommerce Review: Best eCommerce plugin for WordPress?